- 2 pounds red cabbage, cored and finely shredded
- 1 medium onion, peeled and grated
- 2 McIntosh or Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and grated
- 1 large Bartlett pear, peeled, cored and grated
- 4 cloves
- 8 black peppercorns
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup red currant jelly
- 1 tablespoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 750-milliliter bottle dry red wine
1. Place cabbage in a large pot. Add onion, apples and pear. Place cloves and peppercorns on a double layer of cheesecloth and tie with string to make a bag. Add the bag and all the remaining ingredients to the pot. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
2. Place pot, uncovered, over medium-low heat. Bring liquid to a simmer. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until cabbage is tender and liquid has reduced and thickened, about 2 hours. Remove bag, cinnamon stick and bay leaf. Add salt to taste. Serve hot.
Wild rice salad with root vegetables and sage vinaigrette
For about 6-8 servings, can easily be doubled
4 cups cooked wild rice
4 small parsnips, cubed
4 small carrots, cubed
1 medium squash, cubed
6 scallions, diced
½ cup pepitas
Olive oil, salt and pepper
Put the root vegetables into a large bowl. Toss to lightly coat with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Place in a 400 oven and roast until soft and slightly brown on the outside. Remove from oven and let cool. In a heavy sauté pan heat about 2 teaspoons olive oil over medium heat. Add the pepitas and cook, stirring and shaking the pan, until the pepitas start to “pop” and get golden brown. Remove from heat and cool. For hot version put in casserole dish after buttering up the sides, add a little more butter on top, put on pepitos and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes and serve hot. If you want to serve this cold toss everything together with the sage vinaigrette. below and top with pepitos and serve cold.
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon smooth mustard
¾ cup vegetable oil, or other neutral oil
¼ cup olive oil
2 Tbl. honey
1 chopped shallot
Salt and pepper
Fresh sage to taste, chopped
Combine all ingredients in a blender. Taste and adjust seasoning.